From "Matthew Patton" <mpat...@inforelay.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] VMware support was: Re: vijava - some additional thoughts
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 17:19:35 GMT
On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 13:10:47 -0400, Will Chan <will.chan@citrix.com> wrote:

> The issue with using some open source version of the vmware SDK is that
> it is not as well tested as the official one.

Pardon my ignorance but why on earth would you NOT use the vendor SDK/API
or even their CLI tools? The point of cloud automation is to sensibly and
in the right order invoke the vendor's interfaces to accomplish a task;
NOT reinvent the damn wheel be it 'vijava' or any other half-assed
reimplementation.

If the problem is vendor licensing terms not being compatible with Apache,
so be it. You simply exclude it from the distro but you point users at
where to get it and how to make any (minor) adjustments to cloudstack
configuration parameters.

CloudStack or any cloud platform for that matter will never be a
self-contained, one-size fits all package. The customer will have to
supply vendor modules (eg. the recent NetApp spat) as needed. All
Cloudstack needs to know is how the API/CLI works, what arguments to feed
it, etc.

--
Cloud Services Architect, Senior System Administrator
InfoRelay Online Systems (www.inforelay.com)