From Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vit...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [ASFCS40] [DISCUSS] System VM strategy
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 05:33:39 GMT

On 8/14/12 6:20 AM, "Chip Childers" <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to kick off conversation with this thread...
>
>I know that people have been looking at the System VM licensing and
>distribution issues from various angles, but I'm not sure we came to a
>consensus on how to deal with the system VMs overall.
>
>AFAIK, we have two outstanding issues:
>
>1 - We have a bunch of configuration / code in the patches folder of
>our source tree that *may* have licensing issues.

IANAL, but config files that do not have license text already should not
have any issue?
Especially since there is no other way to configure the software?
About half the config files are original work (not derived), the rest can
be supplied as patch files to the originals.

Not sure that supplying patches is any different from distributing
modified config files though.

>2 - We need to initiate a request to ASF Legal for permission to
>distribute a system VM template (including the GPL OS and software)
>from ASF infrastructure, OR figure out how the community can
>distribute valid system VMs outside of ASF.

Wido has some good suggestions here:
http://goo.gl/EuUoQ

1. Host convenience binaries on say Sourceforge
2. Supply the build script so that folks can build it themselves.