From Murali Reddy <Murali.Re...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: making VM startup more fine-grained
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 07:30:41 GMT
On 07/08/12 12:11 PM, "Tomoe Sugihara" <tomoe@midokura.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:
>>> I have looked at the code more in detail and found a bit tricky thing.
>>>
>>> Inside the createVif() method, it calls getNetwork(conn, nic) to set
>>> vifr.network record. And inside getNetwork(), it differentiates by
>>> BroadcastDomainType.
>>>
>>> Now I'm wondering if the method getNetwork() to be inside to-be-created
>>> default vif driver's  implementation, or out side of the vif driver.
>>>So, I'd like to
>>> ask for comments or suggestions from the community.
>>>
>> Tomoe,
>>
>> I think you might be looking at obsolete code.   Starting in 3.x,
>>CloudStack shouldn't be looking at the broadcast type to determine the
>>network.  It is determined by the name tag set when you setup the
>>physical network during zone setups.  Let me know if you have any
>>questions.
>
>Hi Alex,
>
>Thanks for your comments.
>
>Actually I'm looking at here called by the createVif method:
>
>https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cloudstack.git;a=blob;
>f=plugins/hypervisors/xen/src/com/cloud/hypervisor/xen/resource/CitrixReso
>urceBase.java;h=19cb79618197c042606185fbe4300acf477c4b31;hb=HEAD#l719
>
>And it does look for broadcast cast type.
>Does that mean this code is obsolete and should be updated?
>
>Tomoe

Actually, this is in use function. Creating a Xen virtual network is
rolled into getNetwork() and being setup based on the isolation/SDN
controller as identified by BroadcastDomainType.

IMO, with multiple isolation mechanism/SDN controller integrating, it make
sense to push out setup/destroy of hypervisor network object for the guest
networks from hypervisor server resource into drivers as-well.