From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Please choose: The build system to use for 4.0
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:18:32 GMT
I'm totally fine with a switch, my only concern was around when it's
done. Aside from just implementing the build bits in the git repo
(sounds like there are resources for this), I picture there being a
bit of work on every developer's part to switch their dev
environments. This might be as simple as a few package installs, but
on at least one occasion when I was building something via Maven I had
to spend the better part of an afternoon going back and forth with the
network/systems guys because Maven needed to download some components
and the applicable systems by default are internal-access only. It's
things like that where I worry about switching build systems when
people are under a crunch to complete 4.0.

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Ewan Mellor <Ewan.Mellor@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> OK, so we've got offers of effort on Maven from Darren, Hugo, plus review help from Olivier
and Alex.  Maven gets +1 from me, Alex, and Brett too.

> On the Ant side we've got +1 from Chip ("based on timeline"), Wido, Marcus, and Mice.
 David has his deps-ctrl branch, but no-one has offered to finish the job.

> We have consensus that the release is going to slip by at least 3 weeks (2 at the front
and one at the end), which gives us four weeks total to get the build system done and debugged
(i.e. between now and final release candidate on Sep 14).

> With that extra time, does that change anyone's opinion?  It would be nice to get consensus
on this issue, otherwise we're going to have to put it to a vote.