From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: KVM Agent setup/configuration
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 15:59:44 GMT
What's the process exactly when the management server adds a host?
Does it ssh in run cloud-setup-agent, then start the agent? Is it
viable to manage agent.properties on your own when it really needs to
be in sync with what the management server (and cloud) knows about?
For example you can't just change the traffic labels on the host and
in its agent.properties and expect things to work, the manager is
still going to want the originals.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:46 AM, John Kinsella <jlk@stratosec.co> wrote:
> +1 the daemon overwriting the file got me a few times, as well…
>
> On Aug 8, 2012, at 6:33 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was looking into the Agent setup and configuration today and found out that this
is quit outdated.

>> All the documentation is still pointing to the cloud-setup-agent tool, but do we
still want that?

>> On my systems this tool seems to brake more then you want.
>>
>> I'm working on fixing most of the bugs, but setting up the agent isn't that hard
at all.

>> 1. Make sure your interfaces match you traffic labels
>> 2. Fill the agent.properties (guid, resource host, private nic, public nic)
>> 3. Start the agent
>>

>> There is however one thing I don't like. The agent is overwriting it's agent.properties
file with various own lines, mangling anything you might have written to it.

>> Admins might deploy their agents with Puppet or Chef and those tools usually go crazy
when files change without them noticing it.

>> Do we really need to write to this file? Shouldn't the agent just start and whenever
some property is not set use a default value?

>> The agent for example generates a UUID for local storage and stores it in agent.properties.
Should it? Shouldn't it simply complain if that value is not set and let this value be set
by cloud-setup-agent or by the admin manually?

>> I personally don't like daemons who start touching my configuration and modifying
files without me knowing it.

>> To sum it up:
>> I think setting up an agent should be able by just providing a agent.properties and
nothing more. Start the agent and go online.

>> No need for the cloud-setup-agent tool imho. This is a black magic box which does
all kinds of things which should actually be documented.