From Jessica Tomechak <jessica.tomec...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DOCS] Wanted: a tool to convert Microsoft Word to docbook
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:48:43 GMT

I posted asking for folks to redline the install guide and indicate which
parts, if any, are not needed. We can make our jobs easier by not having
those parts in the signup list.

Also started a signup sheet and instructions here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Convert+Installation+Guide+to+Docbook+XML

> The DocBook Wiki[2] has some tools to convert from Word to DocBook, but
> I'm not sure how well any of them work. Note that some that say "word"
> really mean RTF, which isn't really going to help here.
>
> I did try converting some of the existing PDFs to text with pdftotext and
> converting to HTML with pdftohtml on Fedora. The results are messy, but
> *might* be better than just copy & pasting into Publican.
> Unfortunately, pdftohtml didn't do a very good job at grabbing images.
>
> > Has anyone here ever used a fantastic Word to docbook tool? Or would
> > anyone here like to write a functioning Word to docbook tool, for
> > which every tech writer in open source (and beyond) would be thankful?
>
> I think the scope of writing a reliable Word -> DocBook tool might be a
> wee bit much, especially before hitting the release deadlines we have for
> 4.0. Or 5.0... ;-)

Agreed :-)

> [1]: http://markmail.org/thread/5bogizbckpbdact2
> [2]: http://wiki.docbook.org/DocBookTools