From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject [ASFCS40] Release candidate build process
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 16:12:28 GMT
Looking for feedback here...

As I stated in an earlier email, I'm not going to be able to do the
release candidate build today.  However, I'm willing to do it on
Tuesday (unless there are objections, or someone else wants to do it
today).

As for the process itself, I believe these are the steps that need to
be taken (this assumes that we have created / refreshed the 4.0
branch):

1) pull a clean copy of the branch source tree
2) git archive --format zip --output ~/cloudstack-src-4.0.0RC1.zip 4.0
3) git archive 4.0 | tar -czf cloudstack-src-4.0.0RC1.tar.gz
4) build the RPM and DEB packages (I might not be able to do this one
for the first round...  we might have to stick with the source distro
first)
5) sign everything
6) commit the artifacts to the ASF dist svn repo

To do the RPM and deb builds, I assume we need to run those processes
from an appropriate build server for each type.  I can use a Fedora
and Ubuntu VM for it in the short term.  Am I right or wrong about
that requirement (haven't tested yet).

I created a dev build distribution directory here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/cloudstack

Source material that I'm using:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Maintainers+Guide
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html

We will also want the cloudstack project site to include a download
page that uses the ASF mirrors correctly.  After I get the first build
out there, I'll update that page as well.

-chip