From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Binary dependencies
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 18:13:07 GMT
David (All),

I'm working through the list on the wiki [1], and have noticed some
interesting differences between the listed license type and the
license included in the JAR that the deps-ctrl branch pulls in.

Examples:

JavaMail is listed on the wiki page as being the dual GPL/CDDL license
type.  The download [2] only lists CDDLv1 in it's embedded LICENSE
file.
JUnit is listed on the wiki page as being Common Public License.  The
download [3] has BSD.  Yet the JUnit project site [4] lists it as CPL.

This presents us with two interesting questions:

1 - Should we proceed with incorporating the build changes that David
made in the deps-ctrl branch?  If not (which might be tied to the
desire to use Maven instead of this custom Ant dependency download
process), then how do we go about getting that done in the short term
(for our 4.0 release)?

2 - Assuming that *some* solution for dependency downloads is
achieved, do we assume that the license contained within the download
is authoritative?  I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but that leads
to a followup question: Do do we note the source download location in
the NOTICE file and the more easily found project homepage?

Example:

This product includes JavaMail(TM) API Reference Implementation
(http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javamail/index.html), obtained
from http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/javax/mail/mail/1.4/mail-1.4.jar
under the COMMON DEVELOPMENT AND DISTRIBUTION LICENSE (CDDL) Version 1.0

The "obtained from" part is the non-standard portion.

-chip

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Moving+dependencies+to+ASF+approved+licenses
[2] http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/javax/mail/mail/1.4/mail-1.4.jar
[3] http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/junit/junit/4.10/junit-4.10.jar