From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Build process for devcloud image.
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 21:05:26 GMT
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM, sebgoa <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Chip,
>
> I am almost through the entire build.
>
> However puppet seems stuck at:
>
> notice: /Stage[main]/Puppet-devcloud/File[/opt/storage/secondary/template/tmpl/1/1]/ensure:
created

> Downloading the tinylinux VM ?
>
> -Sebastien
>
> On Aug 7, 2012, at 8:05 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
>
>> Edison (others),
>>
>> I'd love if you would give the devcloud "build process" a try.  I
>> combined your veewee stuff, with puppet manifests that build a base
>> box, and then are used whenever devcloud is started from vagrant.
>>
>> Basic instructions are here:
>>
>> To build a "devcloud base box", run you need a system with VirtualBox
>> and rvm installed (use ruby 1.9.2).  Run build_vagrant_basebox.sh to
>> build the base box.
>>
>> To use the "devcloud base box" that is created in the previous step,
>> you need to have installed a forked version of Vagrant (until we make
>> the changes plugins instead of direct source patches) that can be
>> found here:  https://github.com/chipchilders/vagrant
>>
>> Once installed per the Vagrant installation process, run:
>>
>> vagrant box add devcloud [path to devcloud.box]
>>
>> Then, either go into the devcloudbox folder of your checked out
>> version of the CloudStack code
>> (incubator-cloudstack/tools/devcloud/devcloudbox), or copy the
>> contents of that folder to another location.
>>
>> Assuming the patched Vagrant installation is working, you then simply
>> run "vagrant up" from within that directory.
>>
>> -chip
>
> -Sebastien Goasguen
> Apache Cloudstack Evangelist, EMEA

Sebastien and I spoke about this on IRC.  It turns out that he was
seeing the really long download time for the system VM images.

There are a couple of other issues that he ran into (and is going to
try to look at):

The big one is that "xe host-list" isn't actually functioning, and you
can't add the host via the CS UI.

Sebastien also ran into an issue where root isn't able to log into the
box remotely.

He's going to try to take a look at those issues...  but I'll come
back to this after I get through the dependency license work.

-chip