From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: License header update: Tuesday August 7
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 20:17:49 GMT
On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:
>>   XenServerJava:
>>     Ewan noted that the Citrix team is currently working to get this re-licensed.
>> Ewan - any update on progress?
>>     incubator-cloudstack/deps/XenServerJava/GPL-2
>>     incubator-cloudstack/deps/XenServerJava/Makefile
>
> I'm not certain if there's been discussion on why this is needed.  We had to add some
client timeouts into the java stubs for xenserver because it didn't have it.  We should really
push these changes upstream to XenServer rather have these here.  There's a separate conversation
that's been going on with the  XenServer team about this.  I'll try to patch Ewan in on that
topic and see if we can just remove this altogether.

Fantastic...  We'll wait for word.

>>   Mockito:
>>     Alex and Chiradeep had conflicting opinions about removing this folder
>> from tools.  Can we get to an agreement about how to disposition the
>> Mockito folder within tools?
>>     incubator-cloudstack/tools/mockito/*
>
> I've answered this one in a separate mail thread.

It's been removed from the source tree, so we're good here.

>>   Base64.java:
>>     This file is in the public domain (see the header), but we need to attribute
>> the author:
>>     incubator-cloudstack/utils/src/com/cloud/utils/encoding/Base64.java
>
> This is a file I pulled off public domain and was using well before CloudStack.  I realized
later that apache has tools for this function.  I think other codes in cloudstack has started
using the apache one.  We should switch over to just using the apache one and remove this
file all together.

> The apache library is here.
> http://commons.apache.org/net/api-3.1/org/apache/commons/net/util/Base64.html
>
> I did a quick check and see that this is only used in about five places.  I'll see if
we can change those places over.

Let me know which one we end up using, and I'll help update the
LICENSE and NOTICE file appropriately.

>>   Sun Licenses:
>>     These files are potentially a problem.  They are either CDDL or GPL.  GPL is
>> not allowed, and CDDL will require discussion.
>>     incubator-cloudstack/utils/src/javax/ejb/Local.java
>>     incubator-cloudstack/utils/src/javax/persistence/AssociationOverride.java
>>     incubator-
>> cloudstack/utils/src/javax/persistence/AssociationOverrides.java
>
> These are mine as well.  I pulled these files mainly because I didn't want to pull in
a big heavy jar just to get the persistence annotations.  The files are not modified and we
should be able to remove them completely and replace them with just the jar file.

> A quick search on stackoverflow turns up this link.  The last post indicates there is
already a jar file in maven we can use.
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/737496/what-jar-should-i-include-to-use-javax-persistence-package-in-a-hibernate-based

Great - if we can use the binary version then we can apply the ASF
rules for CDDL binary inclusion in the project.  Let me know if you
can get it sorted, and I'd be happy to make the appropriate license
notice changes.

-chip