From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Binaries (jars) in our source tree/source releases.
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 01:47:01 GMT
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Ewan Mellor <Ewan.Mellor@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> [...]

I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but I think this is worth sharing:

I'm here because CloudStack was contributed to the ASF...

To me, being part of ASF means that there's a bunch of cultural
practices and policy rules that all of us need to get used to (and
figure out how to get good at as a community). It also means that
we're in an existing foundation with a proven track record for it's
approach.  I'm betting that the proven track record is a good
indicator for our future here.

I've actually found that spending a significant amount of my time
reading through the apache.org site and other sources for information
about "the apache way" has been pretty darn helpful.  Things here are
different from most other organizations (foundations, standards
development orgs, corporations), and it's certainly frustrating at
times when it doesn't match my usual project methods / tools.  I, for
one, am certainly used to making unilateral decisions that have big
impacts on projects.  But when you think about it in the ASF context,
there seems to be clear and thoughtful reason behind most things...
you just have to figure out what it is!

For anybody that hasn't done this already, I highly recommend reading
at least the "How the ASF works" page:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

Ewan - As for your specific point about efficiency...  We'll be able
to figure this out.  We'll get real-time collaboration on IRC during
meetings (for those that are in attendance), we'll send out notes /
transcript to this list for everyone's reference, and we'll bring back
any questions / decisions to the list for specific debate and timely
resolution (hopefully by consensus).

-chip