From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject Re: CloudStack 4.0 KVM system requirements
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 14:10:15 GMT
Sounds reasonable to me. Also…can we test for those conditions in the installer and clearly
state if they're not met?

On Aug 2, 2012, at 5:57 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:

Hi,

As we are working our way towards CS 4.0 I think we should set some system requirements.

My experience with other Hypervisors than KVM is limited, I'd like to keep this discussion
limited to the KVM Hypervisors.

What platforms are we going to support?

The reason I'm asking that I still have a couple of things I want to fix, but they require
at least libvirt 0.9.0

Ubuntu 10.04 and RHEL/CentOS 5 ship with an ancient version of libvirt.

Ubuntu 12.04 has 0.9.8 and CentOS 6.3 has 0.9.10 while CentOS 6.2 has 0.9.4. CentOS 6.1 has
0.8.7 though.

Are we going to set the requirement that the hypervisor should be at least Ubuntu 12.04 or
CentOS 6.2?

This way we know that we will be working with at least libvirt 0.9.4 which has a lot more
features then <0.9.0 did.

New features:
- disk I/O tuning
- More/better CPU scheduling

The exception will however be that when you want to use RBD you need at least 0.10.0 (due
to come out in a couple of days), but that's a specific use-case for new users.

Can we set this requirement for users who want to upgrade their KVM clusters?

Wido

Stratosec<http://stratosec.co> - Secure Infrastructure as a Service
o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella<http://twitter.com/johnlkinsella>