From dsheph...@godaddy.com
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Binaries (jars) in our source tree/source releases.
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:44:34 GMT
On 2012-08-14 07:23, Chip Childers wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Hugo Trippaers
> <HTrippaers@schubergphilis.com> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Good to see action on this, we've been discussing this for a long
>> time and I think we need to get moving. At least on the "building
>> jars" front we seem to be narrowing down to two contenders maven and
>> grade. Darren is doing the maven thing and I've pushed to gradle build
>> script to the gradle branch in the ASF repo. (@Darren, feel free to
>> have a look at it, all the dependencies are in there including version
>> numbers in maven format, might save you some work)
>>
>> I propose we put it into a vote when Darren is ready and we can do a
>> side-by-side comparison of gradle versus maven?
>
> +1
>
> Darren, how much time do you think you would need to get something
> ready for review?
>
>> Next up would be the rpms/deb/snowballs  packaging method, but that
>> is for later and I think both maven and grade are not ideal choices
>> for this. I'd rather see something as simple as fpm in there. But that
>> a discussion for another day ;-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hugo

I'll have something by the end of the week.  The scope of what I'm
trying to accomplish is larger than what has already been done with
gradle.  From what I can see the gradle that has been checked in just
builds the jars (which I already have the same in maven).  I'm also
looking to update ant and waf to call maven so that the rpm/deb build
process will not require the files in the deps.

So if somebody was to run "ant build-all" or "./waf build" it will end
up using maven to produce the jars and whatever artifacts.  The ant/waf
part is the hard part.

Additionally I'm looking at how we can do a fully OSS build and non-OSS
build.  So its no good if we just don't build the jars, because also the
component.xml refers to them.

And finally I'm trying to determine how this will fit into the
technical release process.  Maven or gradle adds additional steps to the
process of updating version number and publishing to repos, so that
needs to be integrated.

So in the end I have a much larger end-to-end picture I'm working on.
Let me know if you don't want me working on these things.

Darren