From Abhinandan Prateek <Abhinandan.Prat...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Breaking CloudStack into subprojects
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 03:08:48 GMT
+1

This will keep committers focused and will also accurately define the areas for reviewers.

-abhi

----- Original Message -----
From: Alex Huang [mailto:Alex.Huang@citrix.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 03:12 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org <cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: [PROPOSAL] Breaking CloudStack into subprojects

After doing the merge over process one time, I realize something is wrong with CS structure.
 We should think about fixing this.

The problems I found are

- I know nothing about the UI but I'm responsible for it.
- Someone who is a committer can actually check into areas they know absolutely nothing about.
- As a release manager, I have no way of knowing whether someone doing a checkin is actually
an expert in that part of the code because of the above.

So this reminded me of a conversation I had with Amr Awadallah, Cloudera's CTO, when CS joined
Apache incubation.  I was picking his brains about how CS should work in Apache given his
experience with Hadoop.  His suggested that we break CS into multiple subprojects.  We admit
committers to the subprojects based on their experience with that subproject.

I like to see what's the community's response to a structure like that.  Through Murali's
work, CloudStack has already been broken down into finer set of plugins.  We can start with
every jar is a sub project with committers assigned to them.  It will take a little time to
sort out but it will make going forward a lot easier.

Please comment.

--Alex