From Will Chan <will.c...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] VMware support was: Re: vijava - some additional thoughts
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 17:10:47 GMT

The issue with using some open source version of the vmware SDK is that it is not as well
tested as the official one.  Even things like the vmware tools that you have to install in
guest VMs have issues in feature supports between the open source version and the official
one (based on Citrix testing).   In my opinion, if there is any way we can continue to use
the official vmware SDK but perhaps make it a bit of a nuisance to get it to work is still
better than using another library that isn't as stable and dealing with workarounds to make
it work.  Another plus is that you will get Citrix QA for free on testing the vmware SDK on
all vSphere versions (4.1, 5.0, and 6.x when it's released).  Bottom line is that by using
other alternatives,  I would hate to have code that says if (sdk == opensource version) {
do this workaround...} else {do what the official SDK allows }.  Of course, someone could
probably refactor some of the code to be a bit more pluggable as to what thirdparty libs are
being used but I doubt it's doing that today.

Will