From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: guide in .doc
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 20:52:12 GMT

On 08/23/2012 09:21 PM, Jessica Tomechak wrote:

> Wido, the documentation is in one directory. The idea behind a flat
> hierarchy was to make it easy to recombine the modules into various guides.
> There are many sections that must be included both in the "installation"
> guide and the "administration" guide, for example.

I think we misunderstood eachother. Since there is also a "runbook" I
thought the idea was to create a separate documentation section with
just an install guide.

> More benefits: it makes it easier to refer from one module to another for
> links and such. It reduces the chance that we end up with two versions of
> the same information. You'd likely (or at least, possibly) notice that
> there's already a file called "adding-a-pod" or whatever.

Yes, I get it! :)

> To find out what's included in a given "book," drill down through the
> levels of <include> starting from one of the main "book" files. If we need
> a way to list the files per book, someone could write a script to iterate
> through those <include>s.
>
> We do need a naming convention to make it clear which files are the main
> book files. Right now, I believe they all look like
> "cloudstack_<something>.xml" so we could explicitly state that as a naming
> convention if we like it.
>
> Some of this is explained in the README in the /docs directory. It's also
> discussed in the wiki.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/How+To+Work+With+CloudStack+Documentation

Clear! Then I'm on the right way. Currently I'm working on most stuff in
a local branch, I'll push something when it's ready.

I hoped to have this ready this week, but it has been a rather busy week
for me.

Wido