From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: Review Request: Major Update/Overhaul of Apache CloudStack site
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:44:17 GMT

On 08/20/2012 11:32 PM, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 11:03:36PM +0200, Wido den Hollander wrote:
>> It seems like the site is in Subversion somewhere? Is this going to
>> be publicly available? Or am I missing something.
>
> It's in SVN, yes:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cloudstack/site/
>
> But I'm not a committer, so this is a patch against the current version
> of the site.
>
>> My first idea about the site is that it is really simplistic, but I like :)
>
> Can you expand on that? Is there more that you think we need to have,
> initially?

What I meant is that the current CloudStack in my website is to crowded
with way to much information.

It's like something has to be sold (well, Citrix support). The ASF
website should imho point people to the docs and the downloads, that's
what they come for mostly.

New users probably want a "What is?" section with a couple of images
highlighting what makes CloudStack so cool, but nothing fancy.

The current CS website has a forum, you can have users profiles, all
kinds of stuff that needs to be maintained and looked after.

For example, the webpage of Apache HTTPd, the most populair HTTP-server
in the world, but not a really fancy website.

There will be one problem though: People need to "sell" CloudStack
internally to their managers and they tend to go for the project with
the best website. Is that our 'problem'?

Wido