From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [ASFCS40] CloudStack 4.0 release plan
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:19:59 GMT
On 08/10/2012 02:27 AM, Ewan Mellor wrote:
> [...]
to get into a time-based schedule, then we're still on to start the feature freeze at the
end of Friday, and have a 4.0 release branch ready for Monday morning.  Everyone agreed?

+1, from monday on we'll have a 4.0 branch.

That means however that you have to submit bugs fixes into master and
4.0.x, right?

>> [Snip]
>>
>> - Regardless of our desire to be time-bound for our releases, our
>> first release has a higher-order issue (licensing) that will block us
>> if anything significant is outstanding.
>> - Given the importance of the licensing aspects, I believe that we
>> have to think of the "First release candidate build" milestone as
>> being predicated on the community believing / agreeing that we have
>> achieved a satisfactory level of compliance to pass an IPMC vote.
>
> Yes, makes sense to me.
>
>> [Snip]
>>
>> Let's think about "convenience builds" along two lines (because there
>> are different issues to deal with):
>>
>> Binary distribution of the core project - I think this is basically
>> sorting through the optional vs. required components.  Any binary
>> distro we produce would be only include the required build targets,
>> not the optional ones.  I'm not sure there is much debate open here.
>> We're headed down the right path.  :-)
>
> Yep.
>
>> System VMs - I've reviewed the discussion notes from OSCON again, just
>> to refresh my memory.  I might not be understanding the verbal
>> conversation correctly, but it doesn't seem to match what I see on the
>> apache.org/legal site.  Specifically, David mentioned that there was
>> verbal consensus that we could possibly "prepare a system VM as we
>> distribute it now as a convenience binary".  The item that I'm
>> concerned about is the "Distribution" section of the Third-Party
>> Licensing Policy [1] that says "YOU MUST NOT distribute a prohibited
>> work from an apache.org server.".  Doesn't the system VM qualify as a
>> prohibited work?
>
> I agree that System VM binaries are forbidden by written policy.  It is possible to ask
for exceptions to this policy -- I have done so for libvirt-java, and Sam Ruby says that he'll
approve that next week if no-one disagrees in the meantime.  If we felt that we needed to
make a similar request regarding System VMs, we can do that.

> Getting alternative infrastructure is a possibility.  I'm sure Citrix could manage that,
though I worry about the perception that would create, if the software is effectively unusable
without Citrix servers.