From Greg Burd <g...@basho.com>
Subject Secondary Storage S3 Provider
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 16:56:29 GMT
Hello all.

Apologies if any of the questions I ask are overly obvious, I'm just diving into the Java
code and trying to find my way around.  My goal is to build layer which allows objects destined
for secondary storage to reside in an S3-compatible service - specifically, Riak Cloud Storage
(which we call "Riak CS").  Later on I'd like to plumb in a way to allow Riak CS to provide
the S3 service itself to users of CloudStack deployments.

So it seems that to do this I'll need to implement a `cloud.bridge.io.s3.S3ServiceBucketAdapter`
(or something with a similar name) which implements the `S3BucketAdapter` API, correct?  As
far as I can tell, that class will essentially just call out using the S3 API to a specified
S3 server (in my case, a running Riak CS cluster somewhere).  I assume that somewhere in the
code there is the Amazon API for accessing S3, correct?

Then I'm guessing I'll need to also implement or change something related to auth in `cloud.bridge.auth.s3`,
correct?  We have an authentication system built into Riak CS now, somehow these two will
need to merge into one unified auth system.

Finally I'll need to integrate into the build tools/scripting so that deployment is automated.
 Something like `ant deploy-riak-cs` I'm guessing.

So, I have a few questions:

1. Am I on the right track?
2. Has anyone already started work on building an S3 secondary storage backend integration?
3. What's the best way to integrate auth?
4. What parts of this should be designed to be reusable to provide S3 service itself at a
later date?
5. What needs to be done to provide the expected level of integration into the build/test
tools?

Anything else?  Thanks for any and all help.

best,

@gregburd, Basho Technologies | http://basho.com | @basho