From "Darren Shepherd" <dar...@godaddy.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Binaries (jars) in our source tree/source releases.
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 02:14:07 GMT
As I said before we don't *have* to move the files around.  I already
started working on this (I have everything compiling fine) and have
taken the approach of not moving files.  Moving the files around is just
nice because it's easier for other people who don't know CS but know
maven to work with CS.  I think I'll implement this with no moving and
then maybe after 4.0 we talk about restructuring as I agree it will be
very disruptive.

Gradle is possibly a good replacement for waf and ant if your looking
for a general purpose build system.  But right now we really just need
to worry about the points I mentioned before.  So in the approach I'm
thinking waf and ant still remain in some form to retain compatibility
with what everyone working on CS is used to.  So we can accomplish what
we need with the smallest disruption.

So it would be difficult to replace everything right now with Gradle.
Meaning not only do you rewrite the entire build system you also have to
update documentation (wiki stuff), other scripts (jenkins, devcloud,
test harnesses, etc), and everybody needs to learn a new system.  We
could do waf, ant, and gradle instead of waf, ant, and maven but I would
only do that if we were 100% sure gradle is the best way to go.  So in
my comments I've always said gradle is *probably* a good solution, but
honestly if the decision was up to me I'd say no, just stick with maven.
 At the end of the day you just need something that builds the system
and you don't need to worry much about it.  We don't exactly need to be
pioneers in this area.  Maven works, has a gigantic community, tons of
plugins (like all this license updating work could have been done with 1
of many license management maven plugins), tons of info on google and
excellent Eclipse integration that really does work (m2e is an eclipse
foundation project).  Basically you can't really go to wrong with Maven.
 With gradle you narrow everything, smaller community, less tools, etc.
So I'd leave gradle to camps like Spring that enjoy reinventing
everything themselves anyways.

Darren

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 13, 2012, at 5:37 PM, Ewan Mellor <Ewan.Mellor@eu.citrix.com>
wrote:

> [...]
certainly aren't Maven-friendly, and it would be a lot of churn on the codebase and arguably
a backwards step if we were to adopt all their conventions.  Do you know if Gradle suffers
from the same problem?  In other words, if we switched to Gradle would we still have to move
all the code around?

> Also, could you explain why you think that a switch to Maven would be easy but a switch
to Gradle would be hard?

> In general, I'm happy to take build system changes pretty much right up to the last minute.
  Any regressions are likely to be immediate and obvious, unless the more subtle regressions
you get when working with the code itself.  I'm also keen to make sure that build from source
is easy for people, since this will be the primary release mechanism now.  However, if we're
going to have to move all the files around, we'll never be able to manage the release branch
properly, so that would rule this out for 4.0 if that's going to be necessary.