From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping NetApp Support
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 17:56:01 GMT
I reached out to some contacts at NetApp, their product management team quoted the following
part of their "NETAPP MANAGEABILITY SDK - EULA.docx"[1] to me:

"Subject to the terms and conditions set forth herein, NetApp grants You a license to:...Use,
reproduce and distribute the Language Libraries in object code form (for C/C++, Java, C#,
VB.NET and PowerShell only) and source code form (for Perl, Python and Ruby only) as incorporated
into the Licensee Application; provided, however, that You (A) reproduce and include the copyright
notice that appears in the Language Libraries as provided by NetApp, and (B) distribute the
Licensee Application incorporating the Language Libraries pursuant to terms no less restrictive
than those set forth herein. You shall not modify the Language Libraries; and..."

Not that we want to distribute jars in the source, I was told they don't have an "open source"
license so this wouldn't fly with ASL, but perhaps we could provide the library as part of
the "convenience builds?"

John
1: I can forward the docx to the list or put it up somewhere if there's interest

On Jul 30, 2012, at 6:45 AM, Hugo Trippaers wrote:

> Hey David,
>
> This the part from the SLA regarding distribution of the netapp SDK:
> -- snip --
> No distribution or redistribution rights are granted by this license, except as specified
in this paragraph.  Notwithstanding the terms of this Agreement to the contrary, certain of
the components of the Product may be redistributed by you to the extent required for the permitted
operation of the derivative work created by you while using the Software hereunder. The specific
components permitted for redistribution are limited to those which are compiled as part of
the derivative work and distributed by you only in conjunction with or embedded with your
product and not as a stand-alone product of the redistributed components. Other components
such as printed materials, code samples, SNMP MIB files and "online" or electronic documentation,
accompanying the particular embodiment of the Software may not be distributed or redistributed.
> -- end snip --
>
> If I read this correctly (mind you I'm no lawyer) this means that we can't redistribute
the compiled jars unless we (meaning the ASF) are granted the use of the Manage ONTAP SDK.
If we were granted that use we could distribute the jar.

> As far as I know the manage ontap SDK is available to everyone with a valid NetApp support
contract, so interested parties with a NetApp contract could be pointed to the correct spot
on the netapp support site should they wish to use the CloudStack netapp plugin.

> Cheers,
>
> Hugo

I have the access required.

> Hugo
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 28 jul. 2012, at 03:25, "David Nalley" <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> As I noted in an earlier email, I've been playing with dependencies
>> this evening.
>>
>> one of those dependencies is manageontap.jar, which is part of the NM
>> SDK from NetApp. Sadly I can't get to the license terms for this
>> particular library as it's behind a paywall. This leads me to believe
>> that it's not open source, though perhaps it has a freely
>> redistributable license. Who knows.
>>
>> Now that Murali and Alex and others have done lots of work to get
>> things pretty modular, it's pretty easy to remove this from the
>> default build, so I propose we drop the jar (no real choice about
>> that), make this a non-default build path, and perhaps include
>> instructions on how to download the jar (though someone else would
>> have to do that) and build the plugin if needed.
>>
>> If I don't hear any backlash, I'll make this part of my ant dependency
>> download target.
>>
>> --David.

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella