From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: re-implement clvm
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 20:12:12 GMT
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:

> On 07/31/2012 09:48 PM, Marcus Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> I'd be happy to try more if I had access to any contact info.  As it
>> is, things in the surrounding code have changed enough that a bit of
>> re-factoring would need to be done even if there were permission.
>>
>> My hunch is that unless he's switched roles, once the new version is
>> released he may come out of the woodwork wondering why that thing he
>> has a need for and developed is gone.
>

> After writing the last RBD implementation this CLVM seems trivial.
>
> A lot of code is still in there and looking at the commit where it got
> removed it wont be that much work.
>
> The problem (and I'm not a licensing expert) is that if I would implement
> CLVM again it would look a lot like the original code, do we have to refer
> to the old author for that?
>
> I'm assuming here that we won't be able to contact the original author, but
> we want to keep the CLVM functionality for 4.0.
>
> Wido

Actually - you should compare the original patches, with what was reverted. :
http://bugs.cloudstack.org/browse/CS-10317

There was already something of a rewrite when Edison changed how some
of the storage was handled (which is the iteration that was pulled).

IANAL either, so I won't bother to even try and answer that question.

--David