From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] SystemVMs
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 17:44:12 GMT
On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Ewan Mellor <Ewan.Mellor@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> In general, you have to comply with all the terms of all the software inside the VM.
 For a Linux distro like the System VM, that means meeting the GPL requirements from the kernel
and operating system tools in particular.  This means that any time you distribute a binary,
you need to make all the source code available at the same time.   (Or you can give recipients
a written guarantee to provide the source code on demand, which is a pain -- it's easiest
just to make it available at the same time.)

> In our case, our official release will be source code, and all that has to be Apache-licensed,
so all we can do is release the build scripts under the Apache license.  We can't distribute
the source code for GPL software from Apache servers.

> We could additionally distribute "convenience" binaries, to save people the effort of
building their own System VM.  These can't come from Apache servers, but we could do it from
a separate service (e.g. SourceForge).  If we do that, then at the same time we need to host
all the source code for all the included GPL components.

Convenience binaries can come from asf-hosted servers. They just
aren't 'releases', and we'd still have to comply with the terms of the
license. (and we'd need blessing from ASF-legal - and have the
authority to redistribute)

--David