From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: KVM code will be moved to plugin folder
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2012 15:22:21 GMT
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM, John Kinsella <jlk@stratosec.co> wrote:
> So basically for a good portion of CloudStack users, we're removing functionality that
they're currently using.

> Do we have any idea what percentage of CS users compile from source vs use packaged versions?
How many users of the packaged product will decide to switch to a different platform where
they don't have to jump through hoops to get it to work?

> If we go this route, and some third party happens to be packaging CS builds with kvm
support enabled, would/could the Apache CloudStack download page provide a link to that?

> I know this has been discussed from a legal/engineering POV, but I'm envisioning some
amount of teeth gnashing, just wondering the best way to handle it…I don't want to see headlines
"CloudStack removes support for KVM" which is what the more dramatic will say.

As Kevin noted, this is effectively just setting the default build to
not build KVM (e.g. what is the build-all target right now)

It appears, based on our conversations, that CloudStack can ship
convenience binaries (see my comments below about releases) that have
items that would be prohibited in releases. I.e., we could ask for an
exception to ship convenience binaries of CloudStack with libvirt-java
in place, or we could build the binaries with a dependency on
libvirt-java - either would keep KVM support present for users.

So the difference is what the ASF considers a release. Only source
releases are 'releases' under the ASF's definition. Binary artifacts
are merely built for the user's convenience. I also was concerned that
there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, please see the
discussion we had at OSCON, about this matter [0]. I am convinced that
much of that drama can be avoided now - though, VMware-support might
be an issue.

[0] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-dev/201207.mbox/%3CCAKprHVa5feNc1eZicahsqwPKdn6Uezeh_So%2BpRBQtyEDxC2nWw%40mail.gmail.com%3E