From prasanna <srivatsav.prasa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Review Request: [Defect / Enhancement / New Feature] CS-15281 : Removal of third party dependencies in Citrix code base
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 04:42:48 GMT
On 4 July 2012 23:49, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Pradeep Soundararajan <
> pradeep.soundararajan@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I have executed the below successfully:****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> ant build-all ****
>>
>> package marvin****
>>
>> ** **
>>

> Yes, I don't doubt that it builds, but does it run (and are you getting
> paramiko installed in some other way?)

So I'm kind of confused about the licensing and legal bits here. So
let me state the problem (for myself) clearly and perhaps we can find
a solution.

Marvin's packaging happens using ant. This packaging will only create
a distributable source tarball under tools/marvin/dist/. That tarball
does _not_ contain paramiko. The actual installation of the source
tarball happens using distutils on the client machine. When you
install this tarball as:

$~: "pip install marvin-0.1.0-tar.gz"

pip takes care of downloading paramiko for you.

If this is not legally okay - then we'll have to altogether get rid of
the tests and rewrite them without paramiko. As of now I don't know of
a good enough replacement library.

There is both a pro- and con- to this :

1) without paramiko we would lose the backend verification in the tests
2) without the backend verification the tests can be run with the
simulator (or any other hypervisor) making it easier to have a smoke
suite which everyone can run.

HTH clear some things.

--
Prasanna.,