From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject Re: KVM code will be moved to plugin folder
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:17:32 GMT
Got it, my bad…I saw the previous comments about "convenience builds" but didn't' fully gather
the ramifications.

On Jul 26, 2012, at 8:06 AM, Kevin Kluge wrote:

My understanding is that the "convenience builds" can include KVM support enabled.   The source
release will include the code with the build option off.   So most users won't notice any
changes.

-kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: John Kinsella [mailto:jlk@stratosec.co]
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:46 AM
To: <cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org<mailto:cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: KVM code will be moved to plugin folder

So basically for a good portion of CloudStack users, we're removing
functionality that they're currently using.

Do we have any idea what percentage of CS users compile from source vs
use packaged versions? How many users of the packaged product will decide
to switch to a different platform where they don't have to jump through
hoops to get it to work?

If we go this route, and some third party happens to be packaging CS builds
with kvm support enabled, would/could the Apache CloudStack download
page provide a link to that?

I know this has been discussed from a legal/engineering POV, but I'm
envisioning some amount of teeth gnashing, just wondering the best way to
handle it...I don't want to see headlines "CloudStack removes support for
KVM" which is what the more dramatic will say.

John