From Frank Zhang <Frank.Zh...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Re-install VM
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 22:02:30 GMT

> Thanks for replying.
>
> but service offering is not a flexible solution, you can not easily scale up or
> scale down a vm by a small change(e.g. add 128MB RAM), you have to create
> a new service offering just for this additional 128MB RAM, in which took a lot
> of time(correct me if I was wrong here).
>
> So to replicate the simple re-install process by creating new service offering
> for each VM, does not sounds to me a very optimal solution.

In a typical cloud deployment, VMs should be always categorized in ranks marking by service
offering.
Updating one VM in a rank usually means you are creating a new category, this may be a little
fussy to
isolated case, but in product deployment it benefits a lot when you need to upgrade the whole
rank
of VMs.
Still, reinstall  will be definitely slower than recreating from a new service offering

> Just my 2 cents.
>
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Frank Zhang <Frank.Zhang@citrix.com>
> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi
> >>
> >> As traditional understanding of re-install means you re-install OS
> >> just like you do with a physical server.
> >>
> >> So you changed the OS while keeped all your IPs, hardwares unchanged.
> >>
> >> in case of VM, for example, we want to reinstall a centos 5.6 vm to a
> >> centos
> >> 6.2 template(not iso), seems there is no way to do it but destory-recreate.
> >
> > This is actually how cloud works. You can recreate a new VM from the
> > same service offering, so you hardware not changed apart from IP
> > address.  But I didn't see it will affect your business in terms of ip
> > address change. If it did, you will re-consider your deploy plan as
> > your services should be behind a load balancer or DNAT where your
> internal ip addresses not exposed to clients.
> > If your services rely on static network, for example, distributed
> > software using TCP to do discovery must know ip address of all nodes,
> > you have to change the configuration manually (However, a
> > sophisticated design should have a configuration repo centrally, that would
> ease the task of upgrading each node).
> > By nature of cloud, static network is not a main concern currently,
> > the ip address allocation should be handled by machine, not human.

> >> needs to track the VM OS type.
> >> OS type VM information.

shown