From Frank Zhang <Frank.Zh...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Re-install VM
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:24:14 GMT

> Hi
>
> As traditional understanding of re-install means you re-install OS just like you
> do with a physical server.
>
> So you changed the OS while keeped all your IPs, hardwares unchanged.
>
> in case of VM, for example, we want to reinstall a centos 5.6 vm to a centos
> 6.2 template(not iso), seems there is no way to do it but destory-recreate.

This is actually how cloud works. You can recreate a new VM from the same service
offering, so you hardware not changed apart from IP address.  But I didn't see it will
affect your business in terms of ip address change. If it did, you will re-consider your deploy
plan as your services should be behind a load balancer or DNAT where your internal ip
addresses not exposed to clients.
If your services rely on static network, for example, distributed software using TCP to
do discovery must know ip address of all nodes, you have to change the configuration
manually (However, a sophisticated design should have a configuration repo centrally,
that would ease the task of upgrading each node).
By nature of cloud, static network is not a main concern currently, the ip address allocation
should be handled by machine, not human.