From Frank Zhang <Frank.Zh...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] tools directory
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 18:07:23 GMT

> On 7/4/12 10:12 PM, "Prasanna Santhanam"
> <Prasanna.Santhanam@citrix.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 04:20:35PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I spent some time poking around in the tools directory.
> >>
> >> There are a number of software packages in this directory, and I am
> >> not sure that it is appropriate to have them there, and specifically
> >> some of them are prohibited items.
> >>
> >> I am proposing to delete the following directories:
> >>
> >> ant
> >> gcc
> >> junit
> >> migration
> >> mockito
> >> tooljars
> >> vhd-tools
> >>
> >> If this offends you, please let us know why it must stay.
> >>
> >> I suppose the remaining can/should stay, but if you know a reason why
> >> not, please let us know that too.
> >>
> >> --David
> >
> >The copyright notice script in tools/build/copyright.py can be hacked
> >to have the license headers for ASF be automatically added. Anyone
> >already have any plan for this? Will this be useful David?
>
> Migration: this is/was a tool to assist 1.0.x -> 2.1.x migration. Can be nuked
> ant: sure -- your dev OS should have it, unless hudson/jenkins relies on this
> folder

I suggest keeping ant. Our ant build uses a lot of ant plugins which are not installed with
Ant itself by default.
and once you face a build error because of missing plugin, it costs you much time to figure
out which RPM contains it as
the plugin name and RPM package name usually vary a lot.
This ant in tool/ is self-contained.