From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject Re: CloudStack Marketplace - need feedback
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:46:16 GMT
I'm wondering if you would want that code running on each CS installation, or maybe have just
a link/iframe out to a marketplace running somewhere else? That would allow much easier management
of the content - one scenario that comes to mind is if a seller's product is compromised or
determined to be malicious, you'd want to pull it from the marketplace ASAP.

Maybe a compromise between the two - centrally serve an xml/binary feed that the CS install
can grab/use, something like a yum/apt/etc repository. (note - I'm not suggesting add dependency
functionality :) )

I don't think you want each potential seller contributing xml/graphics/code, or checking this
into the source tree? I'd think what you want in the src tree is code for the client side,
and maybe a web portal (I wouldn't want us to spend a ton of time coding this up unless this
is a core feature moving forward):

* Have a web UI where sellers can register/login and define/modify their products
* Before products are listed in the feed, there's some sort of voting process (maybe moderate
each seller until they've "proven" themselves over a release or two?)
* Daily cron process generates the feed, places it somewhere accessible via http

John

On Jul 9, 2012, at 10:32 AM, Jie Feng wrote:

> I would love to get folks' feedback on proposing a subproject under Apache CloudStack,
called MarketPlace. There are many ISVs, SaaS/PaaS vendors providing value-added products
and services on IaaS clouds. The goal is to make their products more visible and easier to
consume by anyone who deploys CloudStack.  It would also allow cloud admins to offer their
own marketplace to their users to get access to a variety of products and services that can
be used with CloudStack.

> Here is the idea:
> *             The subproject (let's call it MarketPlace for now) will consist of source
code for the CloudStack Marketplace user UI main page; a product/service listing template;
an admin portal; and a repository of listing. Both the source code and listings will be part
of the CloudStack Marketplace distribution.
> *             Each listing will contain information about the product/service, the user
action needed to use the product/service, and instructions for the admin to set up the product/service.
Listings are contributed by sellers (i.e. ISVs, SaaS/PaaS vendors). To include a listing in
the CloudStack MarketPlace distribution, the seller needs to place its XML files, graphics
and code in the designated folder within the subproject.
> *             When CloudStack is installed, the admin will have a choice to install MarketPlace
including all the pre-packaged listings. The admin can then choose which listings to enable
for the users to see. The admin may need to follow seller instructions to get products/services
set up.
> *             This is not a global marketplace for every CloudStack user. Each CloudStack
instance will have its own marketplace if the admin chooses to install it. After CloudStack
is installed, the admin should have the capability to add, delete, enable, disable, and update
the listings. If a seller wants to add or update it listing for a specific CloudStack instance,
s/he needs to go through the admin.

> To keep it simple in the first phase, I propose to support two types of listings only:
SaaS/PaaS services and free image templates. Even though the image template is free, the seller
can still enforce licensing and charge a fee within the application itself. To minimize product/service
set up effort, in the case of image template, seller should provide a publicly accessible
URL from which the image template can be downloaded.

> Future phases could include functions such as a seller listing publishing portal, listing
approval workflow, and usage reporting, etc.