From Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Development with multiple devclouds
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:23:45 GMT
Hi,

>> The following combination should work:
>> 1. one devcloud VM has one NAT nic + one host-only nic
>> 2. another one devcloud VM has one host-only nic, which uses the same
>> host-only network as above devcloud.
>>
>> The first devcloud VM acts as both mgt server and xen host, the second
>> one just as a xen host.
>> The changes need to make in both VMs:
>> In first devcloud VM, put xenbr0 on eth1(I assume it's the host-only
>> network), instead of eth0.
>
> One more thing...: Need to join both vm1 and vm2 into a cluster with "xe pool-join"
> I'll have a try by myself at first, then give you a detailed instruction.

Thanks, looking forward to your solution.

I tried to do that, for some reason it failed to work for me. So, as a proof of concept I
made a setup from scratch in which my development env and mgmt server/db is on host os and
the hypervisor runs separately on VBox. This kind of setup may be preferable than a monolithic
one?

Just want to share my approach and problems I have with it. The setup:

Two separate default citrix xenserver 6.0.2 (2GB RAM each) running inside VBox, one ubuntu
linux vm (512MB RAM) to serve as NFS secondary storage, 'use.local.storage' and 'system.vm.local.storage'
set to true in cloudstack's global settings. Only host-only network 192.168.0.x/vboxnet0,
one NIC on each VMs, is used.

My development environment and mgmt server/mysql runs on my host os, mac osx 10.7.4/8GB RAM
using latest apache-cloudstack-git. In this setup, after setting up my CS mgmt server I'm
able to configure a basic zone with basic shared network, using the same IP values as given
on wiki, replacing 10.0.2.x with 192.168.0.x.

The setup seems to work and the system vms get deployed on one of the xenserver vm, but the
SSVM fails to work. I ssh into the SSVM using it's link-local IP via its host xenserver's
dom0, and find that the SSVM is unable to reach the gateway, 192.168.0.1. All routes, iptables
look fine, comments?

Thanks.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav