From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Re: Planet Cloudstack
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 20:48:17 GMT
On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 02:57:16PM -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 02:14:18PM -0500, Kelcey Damage (BBITS) wrote:
> > Just moving this over to the dev list.
> >
> > We are building a blog aggregator, kindly hosted by jlkinsel.
>
> Possible goals for the aggregator:
>
> 1) allow CS developers to post about their CS work (e.g. pull specific
>    tagged RSS feeds)
>
> 2) allow CS users to post about their CS work (e.g. pull specific
>    tagged RSS feeds)
>
> 3) allow CS developers to post anything (not necessarily CS-related),
>    as a way to build community by knowing a little more about each
>    other.
>

> What do people want to see?  Personally, I'm OK with all three.  But
> our choice may affect where it's hosted and who runs it.

I'd suggest 1+2, possibly 3. I'm not worried about "noise" from 3, but
if my blog is eventually aggregated, I'd prefer to not worry about
annoying others if I decide to post a fair amount of non-CS content.

> Wherever possible I'd like to see CS use ASF Infrastructure
> (e.g. planet.apache.org/cloudstack).  That reinforces our commitment
> to being an Apache project.  I don't know how to go about getting
> access to such, but would be willing to learn.  I couldn't find
> examples of other Apache projects having their own aggregators, so we
> may be breaking new ground here with ASF Infrastructure.

There's at least two, one that was well established before it became an
Apache project.

Planet OpenOffice: http://planetopenoffice.org/

Planet Cassandra: http://planetcassandra.org/

Best,