From Sheng Yang <Sheng.Y...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: will IP assigned to a guest VM(via DHCP) ever expiry or will need renewal...?
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2012 18:24:53 GMT
Yes. And the reason of recalculating the CIDR of network for external devices because we allocate
the CIDR based on VLAN, which would be recycled after network shutdown.

--Sheng

-----Original Message-----
From: Alena Prokharchyk
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:51 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org; Sheng Yang
Subject: Re: will IP assigned to a guest VM(via DHCP) ever expiry or will need renewal...?

On 7/24/12 7:53 AM, "Ram Ganesh" <Ram.Ganesh@citrix.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Would like to know if an IP assigned by CloudStack via its DHCP server
>to a guest VM will ever expire? Or is it ok to assume the IP will be
>assigned to a guest VM as long as it is not destroyed. We are exploring
>means to enhance our load balancer to support DHCP and once we acquire
>an IP we would assign it statically to the load balancer device. Please
>let me know
>
>Thanks,
>Ram

It will not expire in most of the cases - the IP will stick to Vm for the entire lifecycle
as the cidr for the network doesn't change once its set usually.

But if external device (Netscaler, Juniper SRX) is used as a provider for the network, then
the cidr for the network is calculated dynamically every time the network gets shutdown/re-implemented.
As the CIDR changes, so do all the user vms' ips.

Sheng, please confirm.

-Alena.