From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject Re: add a ssh button to the VM tab
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:42:58 GMT
On Jun 22, 2012, at 9:29 AM, David Nalley wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> On 06/22/2012 03:09 PM, LAMBERT Thomas wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> i would like to add a button in the VM tab, to open a SSH console into the
>>> selected VM. I don't really know where to begin, could someone give me a
>>> hint  or advice about this?
>>

>> Would you like to open a in-browser SSH console? That would be kind of hard.
>>
>> You could build this into the UI and place a link like:
>> "ssh://<ip-of-instance>"
>>
>> But you would have to register the handle "ssh://" to a binary which then
>> gets executed on the client, but that's out of your scope.
>>
>> Wido
>>

>>> Thanks, have a nice weekend!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Thomas
>>>

> Not to mention - what if you don't have a route to the VM's network -
> and I am not sure there is a deterministic way for the management
> server to know if the client can connect to the VM - and even if it
> did - what interface would you push it to (think multi-nics, guest vs.
> public network, etc...)

This seems like the type of thing that would benefit from a plugin framework - if there was
a hook for the instance detail tab (or maybe a tab hook) where people could add in custom
bits like ssh buttons, more detailed status information, usage graphs…

That would provide a solution to this type of thing, and also we could have a "plugin gallery"
or similar on the site where people could share their plugins that might be useful to others…

John