From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Discuss EC2/S3 Test Framework for CloudStack
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2012 21:55:25 GMT
 We are trying to extend CloudStack's existing Python Testing Framework (http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/QA/Python+testing+framework)
to test the new EC2 and S3 api's recently added (http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/RelOps/EC2+API+support+in+CloudStack
and http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/RelOps/S3+API+in+CloudStack).

> As an initial cut, we are exploring using boto (http://docs.pythonboto.org/en/latest/index.html)
and it's corresponding test suite as a foundation (https://github.com/boto/boto/tree/develop/tests)
for our own test scripts.

Interesting - what about boto is more appealing than eutester or jclouds?

> Boto does not support SOAP api and we need to test both REST and SOAP api's in CloudStack.
 My current thinking is to use the AWS tools provided by Amazon (http://aws.amazon.com/developertools/Amazon-EC2/351)
and call them directly from our test scripts, which will satisfy our SOAP requirement, but
then we have two test scripts, one that uses boto and one that uses SOAP, which will get messy/complex.

The AWS tools have several problems in my mind.
1. They aren't open source
2. Even more troubling their license actually actively limits you to
only using it for/with Amazon's service offering.

Could we use euca2ools in it's place?

--David