From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Further refinement of CloudStack modules...
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:42:50 GMT
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Chip Childers
<chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:57 AM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>> As a packager, and a sysadmin, I really dislike how maven operates - I
>> understand why it is so popular with the dev crowd, but many of those
>> things that make it popular are reasons for not using it IMO.
>>
>> And yes, ant is already in place, and largely works.
>
> IMO, we should still get the JARs out of the code repo, and host them
> somewhere else.  Keeping pre-compiled libs within the source tree
> makes it much larger than it needs to be.
>
> -chip

I've been watching the discussion of Kafka on incubator-general and
their inclusion of binary jars.
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201206.mbox/%3CCANEBM31vtRxG%3D_yON3884_Qj8pTvMDKVo9p2V2giVx9k4xHe4Q%40mail.gmail.com%3E

And at least at present it looks like shipping binaries within a
source release is frowned upon.

--David