From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Debian/Ubuntu build system based on ANT
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:31:46 GMT
Inline reply

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working the last couple of days on rebuilding the Debian/Ubuntu
> build system and getting rid of WAF.
>
> I think it got to a state where it's ready to be tested by other users.
>
> The code can be found at Github [0] under my user "wido".
>
> The goals I had were:
> * Get rid of WAF

GREAT goal IMO!

> * Do everything with ANT

I think this is potentially ok - more later.

> * Get the packages working under Debian as well

Another great goal!

> Seems it worked and my packages are now building like they are supposed to.
> I haven't been able to find issues at the moment, while this will of course
> need more testing.
>
> For cloud-daemonize I've written a separate ANT task which uses contrib-cpp
> [1]. For the Debian packages I've made the package "ant-contrib-cpptasks" a
> build dependency.

cloud-daemonize should go away IIRC - Frank? Edison? Isn't that all
deprecated - can't we just purge it all?

> This build code could be shared with the RPM build process as well, so we
> might want to move some targets around or make them more generic.
>
> I think that a great goal for CloudStack 4.0 would be to support:
> - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
> - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
> - Debian 6 Squeeze
>
> The packages will probably work on Ubuntu 11.X as well, but we should
> probably target the LTS versions and anything else that works is great?
>
> I'd like to get some feedback on this build system.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Wido

So perhaps I misunderstand - but here is what I'd personally like to see:

ant build-all compiles everything - as it does now.

We add a target something like:

ant deploy-rpm
or
ant deploy-deb

This copies the compiled binaries built in build-all to the right
locations for those platforms - BUT also allows overriding those
settings in a config file or command line option.   (this becomes the
equivalent of make followed by make install)

I am not necessarily opposed to building all of this with ant - it
might make life easy for nightly builds or testing - but I also want
to make sure that I can still sanely do it by calling rpmbuild or
dpkg.

Thoughts?

--David