From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Can we use other language here?
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 17:29:49 GMT
On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 02:50 PM, Robert Schweikert wrote:
>>
>> On 06/19/2012 05:43 AM, Lu Heng wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> One very interesting question raised by my Chinese tech today, can we
>>> use Chinese in the mailling list.
>>>
>>> 1. Seems there is no language restriction about in the mailling list,
>>> and all language should be equal.
>>>
>>> 2. As I read and touched these days in the mailling list, a lot guy
>>> from crixi developing CS are in fact Chinese.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>

>> If this is needed then we should have a language specific list. However,
>> from a development point of view that'll put a big dent into
>> collaboration.
>

> I'd see a cloudstack-users-cn mailinglist earlier then a Chinese developer
> list.
>
> My €0,02 says we should stick to English on the development list to keep
> collaboration consistent. English isn't my native language either, but it
> seems to be accepted as the language in software development?
>
> As far as I know English is harder to learn for Chinese people due to the
> huge language differences. I wouldn't vote against a Chinese development
> list, but I wouldn't endorse it either, due to the above reasons.
>
> Wido
>

>> My $0.02
>> Robert

Generally a project uses a single language for development purposes
and while there is no technical barrier, splitting up the developer
community by language seems more deleterious than beneficial.

This is further complicated by the fact that decisions have to be made
on the mailing list - which then begs the question - where can binding
decisions be made? In Apache projects that is supposed to happen on
the -dev list. However with two -dev lists that becomes a bit more
difficult.

 So my personal take on the matter:
We have a number of developers for whom English is not their native
tongue - but it remains a common tongue for us. I'd certainly have no
objection to language-specific user mailing lists. But missing entire
development conversations, strikes me as a bad thing.

Thoughts, comments, flames?

--David