From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Coding conventions, spaces and tabs
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:45:06 GMT
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While working on CloudStack I noticed that a lot of files still use tabs
> instead of spaces.
>
> I've been working on the agent mainly and there it seems bad.
>
> The coding convention [0] says:
>
> "Must indent with space not tabs. Indentation = 4 spaces"
>
> Now, I'm sure this is legacy, but would anybody vote against fixing this?
>
> A simple find + sed could fix a lot:
>
> $ find -name '*.java' -exec sed -i --posix -e 's/\t/    /g' {} \;
>
> I would want to try with the agent first and see how that works out, later
> on we can fix other components like api, core and server.
>
> Objections? Suggestions?
>
> Wido
>
> [0]:
> http://docs.cloudstack.org/CloudStack_Documentation/Design_Documents/Coding_Conventions

A couple of comments - (and I don't know what infra's take on
pre-commit hooks is, they may be verboten)

Before this work started I'd like to see a pre-commit hook that
rejects commits with tabs, so that we stop the problem. (I also want
to see testing for line endings) Line endings and spaces are easy
places to start from a coding convention requirement phase, and we can
continue to build that up.

Aside from that, I'd love to see this done.

--David