From Olga Smola <olya.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: UI List view sortable fields
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:00:23 GMT
Jessica,

As far as I get it, the sorting you have in mind allows changing the order
of individual fields within a table and updating their order on the server
(order_field.png).

I suggest implementing a pattern sorting table records in ascending or
descending order. Clicking on a table header sorts records in direct or
reverse (on second click) order. This way it will be easier to search for
required information within tables, allow grouping records by certain
attributes, and improve table readability, especially those containing a
large number of records.

For example, a user chooses to show Network offerings with a certain
status. Having sorted the records by the ‘Status’ attribute, the user gets
the information organized for viewing with all the records having similar
statuses grouped. This makes it easier for the user to find information
they are interested in (sorted_fields1.png). Another example –
sorted_fields2.png - Hypervisor capabilities –  shows a table sorted by the
‘Max guest limit’ field.