From Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>
Subject Re: Coding conventions, spaces and tabs
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:36:59 GMT
On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Deepak Garg <deepak.garg@citrix.com> wrote:

> [...]
also to kill the trailing whitespaces:

>> To remove the trailing whitespaces on save:
>>
>> Preferences -> Java -> Editor -> Save Actions -> Configure Project Specific
settings -> (choose project) -> Configure -> Choose "Remove Trailing WhiteSpace"

>>So not to be argumentative, but:
>
>>It may be easy, but that doesn't mean people will do 'The Right
>>Thing', hence why there are so many coding convention problems in our
>>codebase.
>
>>--David
>

> One way to solve this problem is to have a script or may be something in unit tests which
people can run locally on the entire codebase before pushing the code to the community. It
can throw errors and point to such violations.
> As developers have varied choices of their editors, so this will be a ground check for
them before they push the code.
> This is similar to how pep8 checks were used in Openstack unit test bundle.

This is very useful, though it would require quite some time to develop it.

Linux kernel community also has a set of very good tools to help. For
example everyone need to run checkpatch.pl before submit the patch.
But that one is a ~4000 line script.

I think we need a volunteer for this? Or is there any tool we can borrow?

--Sheng