From Jessica Wang <Jessica.W...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: UI List view sortable fields
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:35:20 GMT
Olga,

Yeah, I know what kind of sortable fields you are referring to.

We surely can implement it (click on column header to sort).
But the new one has to work with the existing one (click on each individual row to sort, call
updateXXXXXX API).
e.g. when clicking on column header "status" in a table that has 86 rows, updateXXXXXXX API
will be called 86 times (for each row).

So, sorting order will be saved in database no matter it's an individual row being clicked
or a column header being clicked.

Jessica

From: Olga Smola [mailto:olya.smola@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:00 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: Brian Federle; Sonny Chhen; Jessica Wang
Subject: Re: UI List view sortable fields

Jessica,

As far as I get it, the sorting you have in mind allows changing the order of individual fields
within a table and updating their order on the server (order_field.png).

I suggest implementing a pattern sorting table records in ascending or descending order. Clicking
on a table header sorts records in direct or reverse (on second click) order. This way it
will be easier to search for required information within tables, allow grouping records by
certain attributes, and improve table readability, especially those containing a large number
of records.

For example, a user chooses to show Network offerings with a certain status. Having sorted
the records by the 'Status' attribute, the user gets the information organized for viewing
with all the records having similar statuses grouped. This makes it easier for the user to
find information they are interested in (sorted_fields1.png). Another example - sorted_fields2.png
- Hypervisor capabilities -  shows a table sorted by the 'Max guest limit' field.
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Jessica Wang <Jessica.Wang@citrix.com<mailto:Jessica.Wang@citrix.com>>