From Ewan Mellor <Ewan.Mel...@eu.citrix.com>
Subject RE: Patches review
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 20:06:35 GMT

Hi,

I want to keep this thread alive, because this is an important decision in front of us, and
the thread died on Wednesday without getting very far.

I think we're all agreed that we want to get patches out of email and into a tool that's better
designed for peer review, automated test, and merge.  So that's the decision that's ahead
of us -- what tool do we want to use for this?

In my opinion, Jira is a _fantastic_ bug tracker, but it's a poor tool for reviewing patches.
 The best systems that I have seen will use a dedicated review tool, and will reflect details
back to the bug tracker for archive.  That way, anyone looking at the bug can find the review
discussion and see when a fix was merged, but the actual review itself can happen in a tool
designed for the job.

I know of two decent options: Gerrit from the Google Android team, and ReviewBoard.  I've
seen Gerrit used very successfully in the past.  I don't know anything about ReviewBoard,
other than the fact that there is an instance hosted at reviews.apache.org.  (It was also
down last week, which is a concern, but I'm sure we could address any instability problems
if we wanted to depend on it.)

Does anyone have any other tools that we should look at, or comments on either Gerrit or ReviewBoard?

The next step from here would be to pick one or two to evaluate, and put together a workflow
for patch acceptance that we can all agree on.

Thanks,

Ewan.