From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject Re: Patches review
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 20:22:30 GMT

On Jun 18, 2012, at 1:06 PM, Ewan Mellor wrote:

> [...]
and the thread died on Wednesday without getting very far.

> I think we're all agreed that we want to get patches out of email and into a tool that's
better designed for peer review, automated test, and merge.  So that's the decision that's
ahead of us -- what tool do we want to use for this?

> In my opinion, Jira is a _fantastic_ bug tracker, but it's a poor tool for reviewing
patches.  The best systems that I have seen will use a dedicated review tool, and will reflect
details back to the bug tracker for archive.  That way, anyone looking at the bug can find
the review discussion and see when a fix was merged, but the actual review itself can happen
in a tool designed for the job.

> I know of two decent options: Gerrit from the Google Android team, and ReviewBoard.
I've seen Gerrit used very successfully in the past.  I don't know anything about ReviewBoard,
other than the fact that there is an instance hosted at reviews.apache.org.  (It was also
down last week, which is a concern, but I'm sure we could address any instability problems
if we wanted to depend on it.)

> Does anyone have any other tools that we should look at, or comments on either Gerrit
or ReviewBoard?

> The next step from here would be to pick one or two to evaluate, and put together a workflow
for patch acceptance that we can all agree on.

Atlassian's Crucible is decent, and would tie in with Jira pretty well…