From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: Coding conventions, spaces and tabs
Date Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:16:53 GMT

On 06/22/2012 08:03 PM, David Nalley wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:45 PM, David Nalley<david@gnsa.us>  wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Wido den Hollander<wido@widodh.nl>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While working on CloudStack I noticed that a lot of files still use tabs
>>> instead of spaces.
>>>
>>> I've been working on the agent mainly and there it seems bad.
>>>
>>> The coding convention [0] says:
>>>
>>> "Must indent with space not tabs. Indentation = 4 spaces"
>>>
>>> Now, I'm sure this is legacy, but would anybody vote against fixing this?
>>>
>>> A simple find + sed could fix a lot:
>>>
>>> $ find -name '*.java' -exec sed -i --posix -e 's/\t/    /g' {} \;
>>>
>>> I would want to try with the agent first and see how that works out, later
>>> on we can fix other components like api, core and server.
>>>
>>> Objections? Suggestions?
>>>
>>> Wido
>>>
>>> [0]:
>>> http://docs.cloudstack.org/CloudStack_Documentation/Design_Documents/Coding_Conventions
>>
>> A couple of comments - (and I don't know what infra's take on
>> pre-commit hooks is, they may be verboten)
>>
>> Before this work started I'd like to see a pre-commit hook that
>> rejects commits with tabs, so that we stop the problem. (I also want
>> to see testing for line endings) Line endings and spaces are easy
>> places to start from a coding convention requirement phase, and we can
>> continue to build that up.
>>
>> Aside from that, I'd love to see this done.
>>
>> --David
>
> OK, update - I talked with joes4 and danielsh in #asfinfra - and they
> have a core set of hooks (for instance post-commit mail) and they are
> worried about inefficiency, and claim that n number of hooks per
> project is unsustainable/unmaintainable long term for hundreds of
> repos, and that's a valid reasoning, so perhaps we need to make this a
> jenkins job (and this looks like a great place to start our CI efforts
> on ASF infrastructure). Does that seem reasonable to accomplish Wido?

I'm not familiar with Jenkins at all, so I'm not able to give a good
answer on that.

I however did just pushed a commit where the agent directory is set
straight.

Since most of the work is currently done in the core, server, api and ui
I thought the agent was a safe place to start with.

But when commit hooks are not possible we should look for another
solution. Keeping the code tidy is important imho.

Wido