From Robert Schweikert <rjsch...@suse.com>
Subject Re: Debian/Ubuntu build system based on ANT
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 18:08:52 GMT

On 06/12/2012 01:36 PM, Alex Huang wrote:
> I'm not familiar with packaging in unix so I'm just going to comment on some principles.
 I wrote the first version of the ant build.  I thought it is important to keep compilation
steps and packaging steps separate.

Yes, +1

> Originally I envisioned that build.xml really just compiles while packaging can be done
by various tools that gather the binaries from the directory build.xml places the binaries.
 For example, package.xml can package the binaries into war and zip files that can be dropped
into an existing tomcat directory for developers who don't want to deal with rpms just to
test their code and then something else can package the binaries into rpms and something else
can package the binaries into debian packages.

That's the approach to keep things separate and piggy back on the build
systems maintained by the distributions.

> Today the build system is a little muddled because the agent code that goes onto the
system vms need to be packaged itself.  We should consider that part of the compilation rather
than packaging because we're not packaging for different systems when it comes to the system
vms.  It's only debian because system is debian.  However the entire product's packaging should
be separated out and we can use appropriate tools for each type of package.  Hope that makes
sense.

Yes.

In the end what we need is a reference .spec and .dsc file or a
reference install guide that provides information about what .jar, .war,
zip files should be placed where to get CS to work. The rest is really
up to the people creating the packages.

Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@suse.com