From Robert Schweikert <rjsch...@suse.com>
Subject Re: Debian/Ubuntu build system based on ANT
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 18:04:02 GMT

On 06/12/2012 12:52 PM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 06/12/2012 12:59 PM, Robert Schweikert wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Let me prefix the message with the disclaimer that I am not much of an
>> expert on building Java code...
>>
>> On 06/12/2012 06:24 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been working the last couple of days on rebuilding the
>>> Debian/Ubuntu build system and getting rid of WAF.
>>>
>>> I think it got to a state where it's ready to be tested by other users.
>>>
>>> The code can be found at Github [0] under my user "wido".
>>>
>>> The goals I had were:
>>> * Get rid of WAF
>>> * Do everything with ANT
>>
>> These are generic and should not be distribution dependent. I am not
>> partial to any given build system, however, given that Ant is probably
>> the predominant way to build Java code this make sense.
>>

> Since CS itself is already being build by Ant it seems logical to me to
> do the packaging also with Ant.

Sorry, this makes no sense to me. Why would we build packages with
anything other than the distribution provided package build systems.
Thus, the repository should provide a .spec file and a .dsc file for
debian based distros. These can then be modified by packagers to meet
their distro's packaging guidelines. Anything else creates unnecessary
overhead for the project as a custom package build system will have to
be maintained by the project. If the project provides .dsc and .spec
files we'll get patches from downstream and reduce the maintenance
requirement.

Thus it appears to me that WAF just needs to go away and the Ant build
files for CS might need to be improved.

Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@suse.com