From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Debian/Ubuntu build system based on ANT
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 10:24:14 GMT
Hi,

I've been working the last couple of days on rebuilding the
Debian/Ubuntu build system and getting rid of WAF.

I think it got to a state where it's ready to be tested by other users.

The code can be found at Github [0] under my user "wido".

The goals I had were:
* Get rid of WAF
* Do everything with ANT
* Get the packages working under Debian as well
* Get the build dependencies in order

Seems it worked and my packages are now building like they are supposed
to. I haven't been able to find issues at the moment, while this will of
course need more testing.

For cloud-daemonize I've written a separate ANT task which uses
contrib-cpp [1]. For the Debian packages I've made the package
"ant-contrib-cpptasks" a build dependency.

This build code could be shared with the RPM build process as well, so
we might want to move some targets around or make them more generic.

I think that a great goal for CloudStack 4.0 would be to support:
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Debian 6 Squeeze

The packages will probably work on Ubuntu 11.X as well, but we should
probably target the LTS versions and anything else that works is great?

I'd like to get some feedback on this build system.

Thanks!

Wido

[0]: https://github.com/wido/CloudStack/commits/debian-ant
[1]: http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/cpptasks/index.html