From Alessandro Pilotti ...@pilotti.it>
Subject Re: [cloudstack-devel] Hyper-V Support
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 11:23:13 GMT
Hi guys,

we are moving forward pretty fast in the development of support for Hyper-V, we'll be able
to share the first bits hopefully very soon. :-)

In the meantime we have a small problem to solve with the secondary storage: in our test environment,
we created a dummy Hyper-V resource, but we have troubles in deploying dummy instances as
CloudStack cannot see and initialize a secondary storage.

Do you have any suggestion on how to get around that?

Thanks!

Alessandro Pilotti
Cloudbase Solutions Srl
IT Consultant & Technical Speaker

MVP ASP.Net / IIS
Windows Azure Insider
Microsoft Certified Professional & Trainer
MCSD, MCAD, MCSE, MCDBA, MCTS, MCT
RHCE - Red Hat Certified Engineer

On Apr 22, 2012, at 03:54 , Kelven Yang wrote:

>>> 1) I'm looking at the commands in com.cloud.agent.api. Is there some documentation?
> Unfortunately, we haven't put a detail document on this. Vmware or XenServer resource
is a good place to look at

>>> 2) Commands are synchronous or asynchronous? In case how do you handle running
jobs?

> There is a design principal that command executors are dumb executors, the command flow
business logic should be implemented in corresponding managers running inside management server,
therefore a resource implementation will be easily hosted either locally within the management
server or remotely at agent side.

> Command is usually executed synchronously(we actually provides mechanism to execute command
asynchronously), managers can schedule asynchronous jobs.

>>> 3) Configuration: how do I tell CS that a new HyperVisor Resource type exists?
(both cases: Manager based / Agent based)
> To add a new hypervisor, there are a number of things you need to do together,
> 	1) Hypervisor.java, add a new type into the enum
> 	2) Config.java, add the new type to HypervisorList so that UI may be aware of
> 	3) Add the resource discover class, refer to XcpServerDiscover.java, KvmServerDiscover.java,
etc
> 	4) Add the resource class(for managed resource), refer to VmwareResource.java/CitrixResourceBase.java,
etc.
> 	5) Populate guest OS types and system template data for the hypervisor to database,
refer to create-schema.sql and template.sql
> 	6) Prepare the default system template for the hypervisor
>
>>> 4) Storage:
> This is the part that needs a lot of discussions.
> We are talking about secondary storage. Usually only hypervisor host and storage system
VM need to access to it, VMware does one special step that management server needs to access
to it to bootstrap system VMs. So to support hybrid deployment option, we would require secondary
storage to be accessible from all of them, giving the fact that Xen/KVM/VMware only supports
NFS shares, it would be better to make secondary storage dual faces for Hyper-V, in this way,
the same secondary storage will be able to serve XenServer/VMware/KVM/Hyper-V within the same
zone.

> We do have a Hyper-V prototype in current CloudStack code base, you may also want to
check it out before you start.

> Kelven

Hyper-V Resource, the proxy based architecture is clear.

> I have some basic questions to start with :-)
>
> 1) I'm looking at the commands in com.cloud.agent.api. Is there some documentation? To
start coding the HyperV adapter, is there a list of mandatory and optional commands? I'm "reverse
engineering" their semantyc looking at the VMWare resources, but it's not so trivial :)

> 2) Commands are synchronous or asynchronous? In case how do you handle running jobs?
>
> 3) Configuration: how do I tell CS that a new HyperVisor Resource type exists? (both
cases: Manager based / Agent based)

> 4) Storage: the free Hyper-V server does not contain an NFS client. There are of course
open source NFS clients (Cygwin, etc) that can be installed, but supporting SMB might be easier.
What do you think about adding support for SMB shares in CS?

> Thanks!
>
> Alessandro
>

> On Apr 20, 2012, at 02:30 , Frank Zhang wrote:
>

>>> There's a JSON-based protocol to pass commands between Management Server and
host.

:)
>>                CloudStack has two types of managing host. Agent based and manager
based. Agent based means installing an agent on host and management server directly controls
host through the agent. KVM and XenServer falls into this category,  as KVM agent is written
by CloudStack developer while agent of XenServer is provided by Xapi.  The manager based approach
applies to VMWare, HyperV, OVM3 where CloudStack invokes API of SDK provided by hypervisor
vendor to communicate with *the manager*, for example, VCenter of VMWare, the manager is on
behalf of CloudStack to control the host. in our code paths, these two approaches look like:

>> 1.       Agent Based:
>> CloudStack business logic -------à Resource -----(XMLRPC or something) ---------à
Agent on host
manager provided by vendor ------à host

>>                To support a new type of hypervisor, the key is to implement a *Resource*
showed in above. The Resource is a command executor which receives commands from CloudStack
business logic(known as various managers, like networkManager, StorageManager, UserVmManager
. in our code) and performs these commands to hypervisor by means of either XmlRpc or SDK
API. In GoF design patterns, the Resource is a proxy pattern that works as a surrogate between
CloudStack and hypervisors.
>>                If you open one of hypervisor resources source file (for example,
VmwareResource.java, LibvirtComputingResource.java, CitrixResourceBase.java), you will find
all of them implement the same set of commands that are exhibited by method:
>> public Answer executeRequest(Command cmd)
>>
>> take a look at that method and implement a similar resource like others, then you
add HyperV support into CloudStackJ

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alessandro
>>

>> On Apr 19, 2012, at 19:16 , Kevin Kluge wrote:
>>

>> Yes, very interesting.   Can you elaborate on the getThumbnail function.   One issue
we have been thinking about with Hyper-V is how to do guest console display (console proxy
functionality, in CloudStack terms).  Since only RDP is available with Hyper-V, and CloudStack
knows only VNC, we've been expecting that RDP is needed in CloudStack to provide console view.

>> Did you integrate with Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008 R2?   Or something else?
>>
>> The CloudStack has existing code/framework to implement what we call a remote agent
(your scenario 3).   Take a look at how KVM hosts are managed.   There's a JSON-based protocol