From Tamas Monos <tam...@veber.co.uk>
Subject RE: Vmware CPU Cap
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 23:25:30 GMT
Hi,

I have a service offering with 1000Mhz limit and 4 cpu cores. That sums up to 4000Mhz.
Cloudstack sets the limit to 4Ghz on the virtual machine and when I put load on it vmware
balances the load between the 4 cores allowing them to use 1000Mhz each.
I do not see any bugs here.

Apologies if the "meant per CPU core" was incorrect. What I meant is described above.

Regards

-----Original Message-----
From: Edison Su [mailto:Edison.su@citrix.com]
Sent: 23 May 2012 00:05
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: Vmware CPU Cap

Nope, from the document, the limit is set on whole vm:
CPU Limits

When a CPU Limit is set on a virtual machine resource settings, the virtual machine is deliberately
held from being scheduled to a PCPU when it has used up its allocated CPU resource. This happens
regardless of the CPU utilization. If the limit is set to 500MHz, the virtual machine is descheduled
from the PCPU and has to wait before it is allowed to be scheduled again. As such, the virtual
machine might experience performance degradation.

Note: For an SMP virtual machine, the sum of all vCPUs cannot exceed the specified limit.
For example, 4 vCPU virtual machine with a limit of 1200MHz and equal load among vCPUs would
result in a max of 300MHz per vCPU.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/documentLinkInt.do?micrositeID=&popup=true&languageId=&externalID=1033115